T-34 gearbox options.

T-34 gearbox options.

Postby Tankbear » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Hopefully I've posted this in the correct section.

Bit of forward planning for my next build here. Just wanted to know what route people have gone with gearbox choice in the T-34 and any advantages or problems etc.

Is there any mileage in keeping the WSN gearbox? Heard the case is made of plastic which leads to the cog axles gradually wearing the mount holes bigger and bigger.

Is changing to standard HL gearbox an option? Thinking this should keep it a nice fast tank and if I use plastic version should keep weight to a minimum.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Re: T-34 gearbox options.

Postby precision-panzer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm

It depends on what you want to do with it I'd guess. With my T34 projects I've built them as good looking display models with a bit of RC function for occasional indoors use so just left the WSN electronics alone. I've seen the odd one that been totally gutted and given either full Heng Long or even Tamiya internals & made into a proper 'battlefield tank' though so it can be done.

Potentially HL gearboxes should work (I'd use low profile Stug ones) but remember that the WSN electronics are designed to work with 8 1.5V batteries so are up to 12V not 7.2. If you stick with the WSN electronics I'm not sure how well HL motors will cope.
Visit the precision-panzer website for pics of everything I've done over the past few years & my 'for sale' items
http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/
precision-panzer
Field Marshal

Postby BREL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Tankbear have a look at Rob's (FV432) topic here
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=748
BREL = British Railways Engineering Limited. Once the best in the World, but sadly now no more

I ate all the pies for £20
got to stop eating the pies for £20
as I am getting fat LOL

I can buy 7.4 pints of Banks's bitter for £20
BREL
Field Marshal

Postby Tankbear » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 pm

precision-panzer wrote:It depends on what you want to do with it I'd guess. With my T34 projects I've built them as good looking display models with a bit of RC function for occasional indoors use so just left the WSN electronics alone. I've seen the odd one that been totally gutted and given either full Heng Long or even Tamiya internals & made into a proper 'battlefield tank' though so it can be done.

Potentially HL gearboxes should work (I'd use low profile Stug ones) but remember that the WSN electronics are designed to work with 8 1.5V batteries so are up to 12V not 7.2. If you stick with the WSN electronics I'm not sure how well HL motors will cope.

Plan to use as working RC tank (outside) so thinking of ditching electronics for HL ones. Retaining battery box and using 8 x Duracell rechargable 2650mAh batteries. As the HL electronics and motors run good on the the extra voltage.

Was thinking of the standard ratio HL gearbox as the extra speed probably closer to real speed. But know may struggle turning on the grass although trying to maintain the unit as lightweight where possible so maybe motor upgrade might work.

Cheers for link Brel had looked at Rob's topic but even Rob said gearbox combination was very slow.

Ian.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Postby precision-panzer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 pm

That makes sense. Its a small tank inside but its workable space, especially if you use AA's. Real T34's had 'ice cleats' (like crampons) they could bolt to the tracks... you could possibly make something similar with L section brass and epoxy to the tracks if the turning on grass is an issue?
Visit the precision-panzer website for pics of everything I've done over the past few years & my 'for sale' items
http://www.precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/
precision-panzer
Field Marshal

Return to General discussion